Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Robert Rauschenberg 1925-2008



I have always had a special friendship in my head with Robert Rauschenberg, ever since I read Calvin Tompkins' book Off the Wall. Something about his willingness to take chances & commit to his own vision--even if that vision goes against everything anyone has ever seen. For instance, (this is from my memory so it may not be totally accurate) during a performance at the Judson Memorial Church he attached flashlights to the backs of turtles & let them loose on a dark stage. Or once (even though he was afraid of heights) he descended down a rope putting on clothing tied to the rope, and ended up in a barrel of water at the bottom. All the while a cow was led on stage. How delightful! He was serious too, but always playful. I am sadder than I even expected that he is no longer here.

from the Associated Press:

"I don't ever want to go," he told Harper's when asked about dying. "I don't have a sense of great reality about the next world; my feet are too ugly to wear those golden slippers. But I'm working on my fear of it. And my fear is that something interesting will happen, and I'll miss it."

No comments: