Monday, April 21, 2008

camouflage works!

today a silly thing happened.

I was walking across campus to yoga class. I was late & kind of in a daze. I realized I had walked past the path I was going to take & so I walked through some low, what I guess nature people would call, brush near a pond. so I'm rushing, rushing & suddenly I hear a loud freaky sound from out of nowhere & I jumped & shrieked like I do in the movies when something jumps out suddenly & attacks the protagonist.

it wasn't anything scary though.

it was a duck.

this duck (which is a female mallard--I'm trying to look up birds when I see them now, so I can say, "oh yeah, that female mallard, over there?"). it was hard to see because it blended right into the dead leaves & sticks.

I mean, IT BLENDED RIGHT IN.

genius move, really.

nicely played, duck.


1 comment:

Jennifer Manzano said...

Melissa, This has been yr last post for a week now. I've read it probably every weekday.

I think I'm falling in love with this darling duck.

I've known some Mills ducks in my time, and this one is my favorite.