Friday, June 20, 2008

it's the summer solstice


& I have to write 3 poems on the backs of postcards.

today starts diane di prima's postcard project. there are 22 of us who will be sending postcard poems to each other for the next year.

I said I'd participate because it's been over a year since I've written anything. I've gone this long before, so I don't worry about it too much. I write very slowly anyway, edit & re-edit obsessively. I've never been very disciplined as a writer though & now that I am a mama, I can't write in the way that I used to. I used to sit at my computer in my room until 2am listening to music with a bottle of wine or whiskey & taking think-breaks by going out & having a cigarette on the porch. now that I am a mama, that is no longer possible. I can't stay up late, I quit smoking & I cannot drink like I once did without feeling like a very bad person. & of course, I don't have that kind of time really, as well as being just a tad exhausted & braindead from running after a toddler as she destroys everything around her.

I have said I should learn to write at work. I mean, I'm writing this at work. but it does take a different brain space. I need to learn how to get into that brain space. how does that work? has anyone done it?

there's more to it than that though. my life has changed in the most dramatic ways, however I'm not going to write mamapoems. or sweet little flowerbaby poems. I mean, I could, but why? it's so googoogaga. I love my baby but I still want to talk about the inability to relate to animate & inanimate objects in the vast expanse of matter & anti-matter. & lost. I still want to write about lost. time travel? moving islands? that's where it's at.

by the way, life IS a rainbow. Miss H. Berry, how right you are.

2 comments:

MN said...

That rainbow poem sounds like something you and BC and I would've come up with some night. Especially "rainbow of dreams"--that's clearly a Brent line.

Let's talk about writing at work. I have done it. I am a big re-editor, too, so a lot of reworking happens at home, but it has certainly generated things. And my collab with Alli has been entirely at work. But I guess it all depends on what your writing headspace is like. So let's discuss.

mb said...

I wish I could say we did write it. but we didn't. It comes from http://www.heatherberryfromtheheart.com/